Red Route Temporary Alert:
We are not able to stop at the Genoa Park & Ride stop due to bridge construction so the stop will be at the Wayside on Hwy 35 across from the Lock & Dam.
Scenic Mississippi Regional Transit
Area businesses, local units of government, and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation are contributing to provide inexpensive public bus transportation for Southwest Wisconsin citizens.
The focus of this regional bus transit service is for commuters, elderly and disabled residents, the general public and potential tourism related travel. Each time you board the bus you pay only $3.00 (cash) one way no matter how far you ride. The drivers will not be making change, so please have correct payment ready.
Holiday Schedule: The SMRT bus does NOT run on the following holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
If you have any questions about the routes, please call toll free: 877-444-6543.
SMRT will operate routes with buses running Monday - Friday.
- Buses are handicapped accessible with bike carriers
- $3.00 per one way trip. The drivers will not be making change, so please have correct payment ready.
- Depending on the size of the communities served, there would be one to six stops.
- Schedules are subject to change. It is your responsibility to check for updated schedules.
Discount Punch Cards
- $30.00 Value Punch Cards for $25.00
- $60.00 Value Punch Cards for $50.00
- New Monthly Passes Valued at $80.00
- Punch cards are Non-Refundable
Severe Weather Announcements
During severe weather, you can tune to the following radio stations for SMRT Bus Route Cancellations. Viroqua: 102.3 FM, 105.9 FM, 1360 AM; Prairie du Chien: 94.3 FM or go to www.news8000.com.
To receive SMRT Bus Route updates, text ridesmrt to 662-200-4303.
Attention: The transportation of pets or other animals is not permitted on the SMRT bus.
Exception: Service animals for legally impaired individuals.
Route 1 - Blue Route
(Monday - Friday)
The Blue Route bus has three routes that all start in Viroqua, then stops in Westby, Coon Valley to La Crosse. This route then returns to Viroqua through Coon Valley and Westby. Blue Route also stops in LaFarge early morning and late afternoon. There is an early morning route, a mid-morning route and a later afternoon route.
Route 2 - Yellow Route (Monday - Friday)
The Yellow Route bus has four routes that all start in Viroqua, then stops in Westby, Coon Valley to La Crosse. This route then returns to Viroqua through Coon Valley and Westby. There are two morning routes, a mid-day route and an afternoon route.
Route 3 - Red Route
(Monday - Friday)
The Red Route bus has three routes that all start in Prairie du Chien, then stop in Lynxville, Ferryville, De Soto, Genoa, Stoddard to La Crosse. This route then returns to Prairie du Chien by stopping at the same locations. There is an early morning route, a mid-day route and an afternoon route.
Route 4 - Green Route
(Monday - Friday)
The Green Route bus has two routes that loop from Tomah to Sparta to West Salem to La Crosse. This route then returns to Tomah by stopping at the same locations. There is an early morning route and an afternoon route.
Currently all stops will be made on public streets/roads, business locations are only listed on the routes to assist bus users in identifying the stop locations.
Please check back often as we better define the stops, and identify "park and ride" locations.
Prairie du Chien stops
- Downtown (Blackhawk Ave/Main St)
- Crossing Rivers Health
- Vernon Memorial Hospital,
Main Entrance, 507 S. Main St.
- Viroqua Walmart
- VA Medical Center (Main Entrance)
- WTC (Kilbourn Ave./Monowau St.)
La Crosse stops
- Ward Ave / 21 St. Pl. (by Marcus Theatres)
- VA River Valley Clinic - State Rd.
- Gundersen Health (7th St. East Bldg.)
- Mayo (11th St. Entrance) / Viterbo (Mississippi St.)
- Downtown - 5th Ave/King St. (Cameron Park)
- Western Technical College (7th St. - Academic Resource Center, MTU Shelter). WTC students and faculty with a valid WTC ID can ride the Bus for free
- UW-L - State St. (Cartwright Center)
- ShopKo South
- AMTRAK (Only Route 2)
- About Schedules and Routes, contact Running Inc. (877) 444-6543.
- About SMRT Vision and the Transportation Coordination Committee, contact:
Peter Fletcher, Mississippi River Regional Planning Commission, (608) 785-9396, email@example.com.
Kathy Turben, Vernon County, (608) 637-5201, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeanne Christie, Crawford County, (608) 326-0235, email@example.com
- About the Supplemental Transportation Rural Assistance Program, contact the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
The transportation system is funded with support from many local governments, businesses, institutions, and the Supplemental Rural Transit Assistance Program (STRAP), which is a Federal Transit Administration (FTA) program administered by the Wisconsin DOT. The FTA also supported the acquisition of the buses. Business supporters include Gundersen Lutheran Health System, Crossing Rivers Health, Vernon Memorial Healthcare, Organic Valley, Dairyland Power, and the Otto Bremer Foundation.